Armin G.: Lokalisierung / Internationalisierung / hä?

Beitrag lesen

Tach auch,

Not sure where the first part comes from,

I tell you. There must be a reason that english people call french people frogs. And the french "grand nation" will not excuse that.

Ah, so you were refering to a general hate between those countries. I thought you found that in the French forum somewhere.

And the French call the English "les rosbif". So what? A love-hate relationship? Because while the tabloids go on about frogs and the like the papers are also full of holiday offers in, yes, France. Not to forget all the summer houses a lot of English people buy in the south of France.

Oh, and Tony received a collection of nice (and expensive) French wine from the French president recently. Although some considered that a hidden insult, because he has to pay some kind of tax/fee for it under some new rules ;-)

The language the french hate most.

I thought they hate almost every language other than French? ;-)

Good question. Only one problem: How will you attract visitors?

Content will attract visitors, what else?

Define content. Which content? Just a forum will not attract visitors. You need more than that. Some kind of focal point, like the SelfHTML documentation is for the "SelfSpace". Only problem is that other offerings are out there in abundance in the English speaking world...

That's the point. Should have been translated inot english first.

By whom? Do you know how much work this is? I was involved in a few translations (but I've stopped that now), it's bloody hard work. So "should have been" is easier said than done. I don't think you know how much work Serge has put into the French version, I think only a very few people have the motivation to do something like this. And even less the capabilities to do it. A _good_ translation requires a lot of knowledge in both languages as well as some technical skills. I'm sure that a half hearted translation will sink like a stone, there are too many other offerings on the market already (may be not free, but certainly as books).

Which also leads to another problem: After my experience with the translations I was involved in I think you can only really work this either as an individual or as an extremely well coordinated team. Otherwise you run into inconsistencies and other issues. Just keep in mind that each documentation has a certain style. If you translate with too many people you might have a lot of different writing styles, which creates a very bad reading experience.

If you're the one, go ahead, translate it.

OK, but what's the conclusion? To die before you're getting old?

That talk is easier than action? A huge <I> could be on its way to you...

Oh, one of my mottos for life is "Hope I die before I get old". Only question is what "old" means in this context ;-)

Gruss,
Armin

--
Location: Swindon/Wiltshire/England/UK/Europe/Northern Hemisphere/Planet Earth/Solar System/Milky Way Galaxy/Universe
http://www.ministryofpropaganda.co.uk/